Sunday, February 22, 2015

new orleans coffee fizz

2 oz Espresso (approximately a double shot)
1 1/2 oz Cream (Half & Half)
3/4 oz Lemon Juice
3/4 oz Vanilla Syrup
1/2 oz Cinnamon Syrup
1 Egg White

Shake once without ice and once with ice. Strain into a Collins glass with 2 oz soda water. Rinse shaker tin's ice with more soda water and strain until Collins glass is full. Garnish with 3 coffee beans and add a straw. Optional: twist a lemon peel over the top.

One of the formats I keep returning to is the New Orleans-style Fizz, a Fizz made with dairy and egg. Often the egg aspect is egg white (New Orleans Silver Fizz), but New Orleans Golden (yolk) and Royal (whole egg) exist. The idea of mixing coffee and cream in a drink had popped into my head a few times before I actuated this concept. The host I gave the beta test product to at work quite enjoyed it, so a few days later on the sleep-deprived morning of my clopen (closed the bar the night before, opened the next day in the morning), I decided to make one for myself for medicinal reasons.
Once prepared, the Coffee Fizz shared dark roast aromas; later when the glass was partially empty, the vessel's bare walls donated a cinnamon note that crept in quite pleasantly on the nose. A creamy, carbonated dark roast sip was almost chocolatey in flavor. Moreover, the dark sip was brightened by the lemon; in fact, this caused me in my third iteration to garnish with lemon oil from a twist as is often done with regular espresso. Finally, the swallow was mostly coffee roast with hints of vanilla and lemon peel on the finish; perhaps there were subtle cinnamon notes here, but this was a bit more understated than expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment